Cold & Flu Prevention with Sunshine Oils
Do you want to dodge the cold or flu bullet? To help shield you from getting sick, add sunshine into your life with citrus essential oils. Many Americans believe that flu shots are a sure bet for preventing the flu. However, a naturopathic doctor informed me that she served many patients who had the flu shot, but were still shot down.
God created many treasures in His garden to help protect us from becoming ill. This includes trees that bear citrus fruit. Most pure grade lemon, orange, grapefruit (and other citrus essential oils) are extracted from the peel of the fruit through a cold pressed process.
Citrus Oils: Anti-Oxidant and Immune Booster. According to WebMD, antioxidants are nutrients that help to protect your cells from deteriorating. They may interfere with the disease process by taking away the destructive power of free radicals (special molecules that can tear apart cell structures). Thus, anti-oxidants may help to decrease your chance of illness and increase the chance for you to recover from illness more quickly.
Although there are benefits to eating the fruit or drinking the juice of citrus, a research study published in Food and Chemical Toxicology indicated that the chemical compounds of the peels of the fruit have higher antioxidant potential than the juice of the fruit.
In another study published by Cellular Immunology, D-limonene, one of the main chemical components in citrus essential oils has been shown to have immune building properties. Other research indicated that limonene is an effective free radical scavenger.
According to Plant Therapy GC-MS reports, the amount of limonene in each of these citrus oils is:
Grapefruit – 92%
Lemon – 68%
Lime – 53%
Orange – 94%
Here are some ways to incorporate these valuable treasures build up your immune system while doing every day life.
Practical Tips for Using Citrus Oils
- Inhaler – make your own inhaler with 12-15 drops of citrus oil or purchase a Sunny Days inhaler from Oils of Shakan.
- Diffuser – Add approximately 10 drops of citrus oils to a diffuser to promote an immune building living environment.
- Topical Application* – add 10-15 drops of citrus oils to 1 oz of carrier oil i.e. jojoba, grapeseed, coconut, then apply topically except on the face. (For Children and Elderly – use 5-6 drops).
- Shower – Add several drops to the floor of the shower and let the steam surround you in a fragrant mist (grapefruit is my favorite).
- Sponge/Cleaning Products – Since citrus oils are anti-bacterial, add a few drops of lemon or sweet orange to your sponges to clean the kitchen or bathroom. You can also add them to an all natural cleanser and the fragrance of the oils lifts up my mood!
- Dustcloth – add 1-2 drops of lemon essential oil to your dusting cloth. It doesn’t smear and the uplifting fragrance makes dusting less of a chore!
- Vacuum – add about 10 drops of your favorite citrus oil to a small piece of tissue. Vacuum the tissue then continue for a fragrant carpet cleaning.
*Warning: Citrus oils should not be put directly on the skin due to possible irritation and you should not go out in the sun after applying blends with citrus oils. They can also cause skin irritation after the oils oxidize. For more information about citrus oils and safety, see aromaweb.com or Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professionals , by Robert Tisserand.
Spiritual Tip for Building Immune System
Let’s not forget the power of prayer. Prayer is immune building since when we release things to God, there is reduced stress and less cellular destruction in our body. In addition to my daily devotional time, I’ve prayed and added grapefruit oil while showering. I’ve gotten some of the best solutions to life’s challenges while building my immune system!
So…. let the sunshine of citrus oils and the Sonshine of Jesus, the Author of Creation, into your life. As we embrace the fragrance of The Most High God’s love and the splendors He created, we can live in joy and peace …..and the trees of the field will clap their hands!
Read other blogs about Citrus Essential Oils & Purchasing Tips:
Not All Essential Oils Are Created Equal – For more information on how to select pure essential oils. (Labels that indicate “pure” or “therapeutic grade” may actually be made of synthetic chemicals.)
Sunny Days Inhaler – by Oils of Shakan
Plant Therapy – for oils and diffusers
Guimarães, R; Barros, L; Barreira, J; Sousa, J; Carvalho, A;Ferreira, I. “Targeting excessive free radicals with peels and juices of citrus fruits: Grapefruit, lemon, lime and orange.” Food and Chemical Toxicology 48.01 (2010): Pages 99-106.
Lappas, Courtney M., and Nicholas T. Lappas. “D-Limonene modulates T lymphocyte activity and viability.” Cellular immunology 279.1 (2012): Pages 30-41.
Seun-Ah Yang, Sang-Kyung Jeon, Eun-Jung Lee, Chang-Hyun Shim, and In-Seon Lee. “Comparative study of the chemical composition and antioxidant activity of six essential oils and their components.” Natural Product Research 24.02 (2010): Pages 140-151.
“Starve a Cold, Feed a Fever.” WebMD. Accessed February 20, 2017.